Saturday 28 April 2007

Aha - Now I know thanks to Greg

Was talking to Greg (Bolcer) last night about what he'd like the subject of his interview to be and was also asking him if he knew why my blogs were previously showing up on google alerts and now they aren't. Of course he knew the answer straight away!

Apparently, when you set up a new webpage google bless them index it and so your pages show up for about the first month just to let you know it's there then you fall off their radar and have to fight for position amongst all the millions of other websites around. They don't index all pages every month, only about 18% of the web so your page might not be indexed again for another 6 months at which point it might start showing up again.

For a blog in particular you then won't show up anywhere unless someone performs a specific search on blog search or you can do something clever with metatags and weblinks - whooooosh did you see that fly over my head....lol Having visited the google webmasters page they make it clear that they have got wise to those tactics too, so not much point fiddling about with that.

Fair enough! So now I know, I'm not bothered. I was bothered when I thought it was something I had done that had knocked it out of the listings. Hey Ho.

Right so back to his interview. We have decided on an interview focusing mainly on his current projects but he has said he will welcome questions from the readers too. So again over to you. I'll leave it a few days for any questions to come in before I get back to him.